ONE LIGHT CAN IMPROVE
- More women are severely burned by kerosene-related accidents each year than are diagnosed with HIV and TB combined. [United Nations Foundation]
- Exposure to smoke from kerosene kills nearly 2 million people annually. [United Nations Foundation]
- Reducing rates of upper respiratory disease and asthma results in healthier kids and families.
- Proper lighting allows doctors, medical personnel, dentists, and care providers to work longer and with more visibility.
- Midwives delivering babies in the middle of the night typically use a candle or kerosene for their light.
- Lighting enables better management of pests and rodents that come out at night.
- Walking or traveling outside the home at night, working with neighbors and in the community after the sun goes down, and navigating difficult terrain are all made easier with reliable light sources.
- Protecting property and animals is safer and easier with light.
- Children and the elderly are often left alone at night to care for themselves without light.
- Personal safety in homes with no locks is enhanced by reliable light sources, especially for women and children.
- Fires from kerosene lamps cause destruction and smoke damage in already unstable homes.
- Light increases a child’s study time by as much as 78%. [Study by illumination solar and PATH Foundation Philippines]
- Students attain two years more of formal education when they have access to light. [World Bank 2002 study]
- Eye strain and headaches are reduced when children have lights rather than small kerosene lamps.
- Teachers can stay longer and provide additional instruction, when they have a portable light to provide a safer trip home at night.
Light = H.O.P.E.
Health, Opportunity, Power, Education