What does it mean to go dark?
GO DARK GIVE LIGHT fundraising campaigns provide individuals, organizations and student groups with an opportunity to impact the lives of those who live in darkness.
The point of GOING DARK from your mobile device and social media is to disconnect and begin to think about what it might be like to live differently. Over a billion people live in darkness. Can you go a day or weekend without the luxury of technology? What does it feel like to give up that lifeline?
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
• There are three easy steps.
1. Click the Go Dark Give Light red campaign button below to create your own fundraising page. Customize your campaign page and explain why you are committed to raising money for lights.
2. Send the campaign link to your family, friends and followers. Tell them how long you've decided to GO DARK and ask them to support your promise to "ditch your device." Their financial pledges will help deliver solar lights to those without access to electricity.
3. GO DARK on social media by updating your profile, making a quick video or create your own unique final post. Let everyone know how long you'll be ditching your device.
Not sure what to post? Click the red buttons below to download GO DARK art to post on your social media channels. Remember to link your fundraising page to your final social media posts so people can pledge their support while you GO DARK TO GIVE LIGHT.
Information packet, including sign up sheets and printable flyers.
Download: INFORMATION PACKET
Power Point presentation that may be used with student groups and in classroom.
Download: POWER POINT
Watch our "how to" instructional video and learn how to begin your Go Dark Give Light campaign today.
Download: HOW TO VIDEO
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
DO I HAVE TO RAISE A MINIMUM AMOUNT?
• We encourage each participate to raise $50. Why? Because $50 buys a light for a family living in darkness. There is no minimum requirement, but you will be surprised how easy it is to get people to support your cause.
HOW WILL THE FUNDS BE USED?
• Watts of Love identifies areas of greatest need, with particular focus on certain areas of the world. See our focus areas here. Where appropriate, we also provide international disaster relief. All GO DARK donors receive email updates after light distribution trips so they can see how their dollars make an impact.
DO YOU HAVE EDUCATION MATERIALS FOR STUDENTS OR GROUPS?
• Read our web site for more information about how many people around the world live in poverty and without access to electricity. Campaign teams may download the GO DARK GIVE LIGHT PowerPoint presentation (above) for use with groups or students.
GO DARK GIVE LIGHT campaigns can tie in nicely with classroom solar energy science units or social studies curriculum. The campaign also makes a great school screen-free week initiative.
ARE ALL DONATIONS TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
• Everyone that donates to GO DARK campaign online or via check will receive a tax deductible receipt. Watts of Love is a registered 501(c)3 charitable organization.
More questions? Additional FAQ info is provided in the info packet for student groups (above).